Homeland Security Taps Twitter, Facebook For New Alert System
The Department of Homeland Security plans to use Twitter and Facebook to warn citizens about threats with its new National Terrorism Advisory System. The new program will in part replace the old color-coded system, put in place following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, that’s being phased out. Please RT, etc.
The new system, which the AP says is expected to launch on April 27, will post warnings to the social networks “when appropriate.” In truth it’s probably not too far removed from the emergency broadcast system warnings and tests that go out over TV and radio. Might as well tap into Twitter an Facebook if people are on them all day long, right?
- What Words Is Homeland Security Is Looking For When It Cyberstalks You On Social Media?
- Homeland Security Mining Social Media For Signs of Bio Attacks
- Homeland Security Stole Michael Arrington’s Boat
- Iceland Taps Facebook To Rewrite Its Constitution
- Dept. of Homeland Security To Build Better Cyber Workforce