Check-Ins Coming to Facebook Events
Facebook is testing a new feature that would let users check-in to their Facebook events. AllFacebook.com first caught wind of the feature today, noting that some iPhone users are now seeing the option to check-in to events they’re attending.
A Facebook spokesperson says that “We’re currently testing this and it will be available with the next iPhone release.”
According to AllFacebook.com, the check-in option shows up only for items you’ve confirmed you’ll be attending and only when you arrive within the event’s geographic area.
The new feature would likely boost the use of Facebook Places by bringing the ability to check in to the popular Facebook Events module. Places launched last summer, and despite the network’s massive user-base, Facebook’s location-based service faces competition from a number of other companies, most notably Foursquare and Gowalla.
A recent survey of merchants, however, did find that more are spending their marketing dollars on Facebook Places than on Foursquare.
The addition of a check-in option for events is just one way Facebook has been working to expand Places. It’s also been expanding its Deals feature as well, bringing Groupon-like coupons to those who check-in at or near certain businesses.
- Facebook For iPhone Gets Event Check-Ins, Maps, And Unfriending
- Check-In Wars Reborn? Google And Facebook Both Making Big Pushes
- Facebook For iPhone Updated; v3.4 Brings Ability To Check In To Events, Map View For Places, Unfriending & More
- Gowalla 3.0 Unifies Check-Ins, Places With Facebook, Twitter, And Yes, Foursquare
- Dept. Of Advertising: Check Into Cheryl Cole Billboards With Facebook Places