Dev Team: Limera1n And SHAtter Exploit Patched In iPad 2; Will Delay iPad 2 Jailbreak
MuscleNerd, member of the iPhone Dev team broke the news via the following tweets first about the limera1n exploit and then about the SHAtter exploit:
iPad2 bootrom version iBoot-838.3 means it was compiled Marchâ€™10. Seems geohot guessed right: limera1n was already closed
Early testing also seems to show at least one thing SHAtter depends on was gone by March 2010 too
This means any early iPad2 jailbreaks will have to be purely userland
Chronic Dev team, iPhone Dev Team and iH8sn0w have used the limera1n exploit discovered by Geohot in their jailbreaking tools like Greenpois0n, PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 or earlier.
But userland based jailbreaks are not going to be easy as Joshua Hill of Chronic Dev team had pointed out few months back that ASLR Â (Address Space Layout Randomization) added in iOS 4.3 that comes pre-installed in iPad 2 will make it more difficult to exploit userland vulnerabilities.
Not surprisingly, Apple continues to make it more difficult to jailbreak their iOS devices and stay ahead in the cat and mouse game.
What do you think? Please share your views in the comments section below.
- Geohot Is Back With Limera1n – New Bootrom Exploit To Jailbreak All iDevices On iOS 4.1
- Redsn0w To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch And Apple TV 2G Released; Uses Limera1n Exploit
- Dev Team: PwnageTool, Limera1n, Comex Hacks Will Be Able To Jailbreak Future iOS Firmwares For iPhone 4, iPad, iPod Touch 4G
- Dev Team And Chronic Dev Team Comment On Geohot’s Limera1n; Greenpois0n Delayed
- SHAtter Will Jailbreak All Existing iOS Devices For Life