VMWare Acquires Point-and-Click App Creation Company WaveMaker
Today VMWare announced its acquisition of WaveMaker, a company that makes a graphical programming tool for non-developers. WaveMaker enables developers to build Java applications based on the open source framework Spring without writing code. VMWare acquired SpringSource, the sponsor company of Spring.
“WaveMaker is based on the Spring framework but targets a different audience: non-expert developers looking for the easiest way to build web apps,” writes SpringSource CEO Christopher Keene about the acquisition. He cites Gartner research finding that only 20% of IT staff have expert-level application development skills. WaveMaker is for the other 80%.
“Not all business applications are written by specialist developers,” writes SpringSource General Manager Rod Johnson. “For example, anyone who’s worked in the financial services industry knows how much functionality is implemented by business people using Excel spreadsheets.”
The problem, according to Johnson, with point-and-click app development tools don’t produce the sort of professional code that experienced developers want to work with. Oonce the non-technical staff hit a wall and need further modifications to the application, specialist developers can’t help without reimplementing the application from scratch,” he writes. But WaveMaker creates traditional Spring code, meaning any Spring developer should be able work with it.
- VMware Acquires Online Presentation Application SlideRocket
- Click Forensics Acquires, Becomes Adometry And Launches Ad Analytics Suite
- A Year of VMware Acquisitions
- Virtual Storage Company Virsto Raises $12M, Buys VMware Virtualization Startup EvoStor
- VMware Changes the Game with Launch of Open Platform