Live Blog from CloudConnect: Amazon CTO Werner Vogels and the Scaling Cloud
Amazon CTO Werner Vogels is the lead keynote today at CloudConnect, an event that has sold out this year with about 3,000 people in attendance.
Lew Tucker, Cloud CTO, Cisco Systems and Cloudscaling CEO Randy Bias will follow Vogels.
Press F5 to refresh periodically.
We’ll be looking for three key themes:
- The Importance of an Open Infrastructure.
- How the API Plays a Growing Role in the Cloud.
- The Future of Compute, Storage and I/0.
8:59 a.m.: Let’s get started.
9:04 a.m.: Vogels says this will not be a sales talk. Yay! Very choppy video. Ugh. Vogels is talking about the ecosystem and the growth of mobile.
9:08 a.m. Cloud service terms are muddling the way we think about infrastructure and its impacts. The real importance is in the types of applications we build. Cloud services needs to exhibit benefits of the greater cloud. The service provider should be running the infrastructure so people can just use it. That is what the cloud looks like these days.
9:11 a.m.: Most important is to grow the ecosystem. Enterprise software was built for enterprise operations. This is leading to major changes. Startups are growing to bigger sizes than enterprise companies. With increasing competition, enterprises are becoming more start up like. He is mentioning companies such as Safenet that provide ways for the enterprises to interrelate with the cloud.
9:16 a.m.: Vogels is recounting a story he had with a potential customer that showed him a Garner Magic Quadrant. He was being asked about hosting. But the difference is really about how growth can be supported. Hosting architectures need to support high performing Web sites.
- Amazon CTO Werner Vogels Now Hosts His Blog on Amazon S3 and So Can You
- Live Blog: Parallels and How Small Business is Moving to the Cloud
- Hackers Find Home In Amazon EC2 Cloud
- Live Bog: How the Hosting World Prepares for the Small Business Move to the Cloud
- Amazon, Rackspace Add New Cloud Capabilities