Photo Booth And Other Improvements in iOS 4.3, Coming March 11th
At the iPad 2 announcement today, Scott Forstall announced a few updates to iOS that will be rolling out on March 11th, some to do with the iPad 2, some more general improvements.
First, they’ve added Photo Booth as a free app, with special tweaks to make it more touchable. For instance, you can adjust the swirl with your finger when you do that effect. Fun for fifth-graders, sure, but I think the rest of us will be happy simply with the ability to save snapshots.
The switch on the side of the iPad is now, of course, either mute or orientation based on user preferences. Thank god, I think the move to switch an existing interface element to something new was really foolish. They’ve fixed it now, though.
Facetime! If you’ve got any Apple product with a camera basically, you can now Facetime to each other. It works from iPad to iPad, iPad to iPhone, iPad to Mac, etc. And of course you can switch to the rear camera as well.
They’ve improved Airplay and iTunes home sharing, mainly in the ability to run Apps and websites over Airplay. Could be handy for streaming video, though I think games will be a little strange on the big screen. Actually, racing games could be tight.
This will be headed out to all compatible devices on March 11th. If you don’t have cameras you obviously can’t take advantage of the camera features, but hey.
- iOS 4.3 Release Date – March 11th; Includes Faster Safari Performance, iTunes Home Sharing, AirPlay Enhancements, Personal Hotspot & More
- iOS 4.3 Reveals FaceTime, Camera & Photo Booth iPad Apps; Points To iPad 2 Camera
- Order iPad 2 Online At 12:01 AM PST Or From Apple Retail Stores At 5:00 PM On March 11th
- Apple Unveils iPad 2; Thinner, Lighter, Comes With Faster 1 GHz Dual-Core A5 Chip, Cameras; Will Be Available On March 11th
- World’s First 3D Printing Photo Booth