How Your Username May Betray You
An anonymous reader writes “By creating a distinctive username—and reusing it on multiple websites—you may be giving online marketers and scammers a simple way to track you. Four researchers from the French National Institute of Computer Science (INRIA) studied over 10 million usernames—collected from public Google profiles, eBay accounts, and several other sources. They found that about half of the usernames used on one site could be linked to another online profile, potentially allowing marketers and scammers to build a more complex picture the users.”
Source: How Your Username May Betray You
- eBay Japan Passwords Revealed As Username+123456
- What’s In a Username? the Power of Gamer Tags
- Sexual Activity Tracked By Fitbit Shows Up In Google Search Results
- Google Doing Some Profile Unification Leading Up To… Well, Something.
- Drawing Inspiration From Facebook, Google Revamps Public User Profiles