3 Months To The First Million Users, Just 6 Weeks To The Second Million For Instagram
Back in late December of last year, we noted a huge milestone for Instagram: a million users. As we noted at the time, remarkably, it took them only three months to hit the mark. That’s crazy when you consider it took Foursquare a full year to hit that mark. And it took Twitter two years! Well now Instagram’s insane growth has also been made to look small: by Instagram.
The service has just hit 2 million users. They tweeted the milestone earlier, and I’ve confirmed it with the company. This comes just six weeks after the million mark milestone.
Instagram’s size leading up to the important SXSW conference (which starts in a few weeks) has to intimidate rivals. But their rate of growth is now even more intimidating. And it’s crazy when you consider that they’re still iOS-only. And when I say that, you might think I mean they don’t have an Android app or a BlackBerry app, etc. And that’s all true. But they don’t even have a web presence that you can sign up at!
Well, not just yet, at least.
When this thing hits the web and then Android, it looks primed to explode.
- Instagram Captures A Million Users. Up Next: API, Android, And Funding
- At 5 Million Users, It’s Hard Not To View Instagram Through A Rose-Colored Filter
- All 160 Million Users Now Have New Twitter — Old Site Dying In A Few Weeks
- After Three Weeks, Foursquare Hits One Million Photos
- Twitter Added 30 Million Users In The Past Two Months