Egyptian PM Says Missing Google Marketing Executive Wael Ghonim To Be Released Tomorrow
CNN’s Hala Gorani isÂ reporting that Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq has announced on Egyptian State TV that Google Middle East Marketing director Wael Ghonim will be released tomorrow Monday at 4pm. This is in line with Egyptian telcom mogul Naguib Sawiris’ O TV statement that Ghonim would be freed on Monday as well.
Missing since Thursday the 27th, Ghonim is thought to have hosted the first Facebook page that organized the January 5th protests. He disappeared shortly after the following disconcerting tweet, “Very worried as it seems that government is planning a war crime tomorrow against people. We are all ready to die.â€
Up until now, Google has confirmed that he is missing with the following statement,
“The safety of our employees is very important to Google, so if anyone has any information we’re asking that they please call the following U.K. number: +44 20 7031 3008. We are also using this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) since the Internet is back on in Egypt. Please attribute anything said in his email to a Google spokesperson.”
I’m still waiting to hear back from Google if there are any updates after today’s news.
- Detained Egyptian Google Marketing Exec Wael Ghonim Released
- Egyptian Google Exec Who Was Detained Tweets: “Freedom…Deserves Fighting For”
- Wael Ghonim: If You Want To Liberate A Government, Give Them The Internet
- Egyptian Forces Capture 3 Divers Trying To Cut Undersea Internet Cable
- To Celebrate The #Jan25 Revolution, Egyptian Names His Firstborn “Facebook”