Zynga Brings Newtoy’s Crossword Game ‘Words With Friends’ To Android Phones
Zynga is continuing to roll out mobile versions of its games, announcing today that it will be bringing Words With Friends, a popular multiplayer crossword game for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, to Android phones later this month.
Words With Friends, which was developed recently acquired mobile game studio Newtoy, had over 10 million users on iOS devices. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Words With Friends, it’s similar to playing a Scrabble-like word game against one of your friends. The free Android app will include the same features as its iOS cousin, including in-game chat, push notifications and the ability to play 20 games at the same time.
All signs point to this app being a hit for Zynga. Back in December, Zynga Mobile head David Ko said that Farmville for the iPhone had seen 7 million downloads in only five months. And Zynga says that it now has over 5 billion mobile subscribers worldwide.
A paid version of Words With Friends (with no ads) will be rolled out in the next few months.
- Zynga Buys Mobile Gaming Developer Newtoy
- Zynga Turns Hangman Into A Social iOS Game With The Debut Of ‘Hanging With Friends’
- Zynga Debuts First Mobile Web Browser Game Mafia Wars Atlantic City
- Zynga’s CityVille Game Already At 3 Million Daily Active Users (Le Web)
- Zynga Brings FarmVille To The iPad