One-Click Subscriptions Come To the iPad
Apple exec Eddie Cue announced today at The Daily launch, as expected, that Apple will be enabling subscription pricing for news apps. There will be one-click subscription billing either weekly (99 cents) or yearly ($39.99). Apple is starting with The Daily, but Cue says “you will hear an announcement very soon for other publications.”
Cue also notes that consumers have downloaded over 200 million news apps so far,and that was without subscription billing and generally poor experiences. The subscription billing solves a business model problem for media companies, but now they have to create compelling products that people will not only want to pay for but keep paying for over time.
Asked whether The Daily would come to other tablets, Rupert Murdoch says, “As other tablets get established, we expect to be on all the major tablets.” But he also notes, “We believe this year, and maybe next year belong to Apple.”
- Apple Announces In-App Subscriptions For Content-Based Apps On The App Store
- Subscriptions Come to Apple’s App Store: Good News or Bad News for Movies, Magazines?
- Apple Launches Subscriptions For Content-Publishers On The App Store
- The New Yorker Magazine For iPad Gets In-App Subscriptions – Has Condé Nast Got The Pricing Right?
- New York Times Releases iPad App With Full Content & New York Post Releases iPad App With In-App Subscriptions