Fanboy Email Newsletter GeekChicDaily Raises $1.5 Million
GeekChicDaily, a daily email aimed at 18-34 year old men looking to feed their â€œinner geek,â€ has raised $1.5 million in new funding led by Revolution Studios Founder Joe Roth and investor Mike Slade with Gamespy founder Mark Surfas, EA and Activision veteran Kathy Vrabeck, Machinima Chairman/CEO Allen DeBevoise, Bob Pittman and Andrew Russell participating in the round. This brings the startup’s total funding to around $3 million. In addition, Ben Lerer, CEO and co-founder of Thrillist, has joined GeekChicDaily as an advisory board member
As stated in the title, GeekChicDaily is an fanboy-focused email newsletter that includes content around geek news, technology and pop culture. Launched in October 2009, GeekChicDaily was co-founded by Peter Y. Levin and Gareb Shamus as a way to bring out the inner geek in 18-34 year old men.
Its looks like in just over a year, GeekChicDaily has built a solid userbase. We’re told that the startup is sending just under 1 million opted in emails per week.
- Pud Revisits His Past, Launches An Email Newsletter Platform With TinyLetter
- Mailgun Raises $1.1 Million For Its ‘Twilio For Email’
- DailyWorth Raises $850K To Become The Daily Candy For Personal Finance
- Seedcamp Graduate Kwaga Raises $1.55M For ‘Email Assistant’ WriteThat.Name
- Digg Founder Kevin Rose Launches Private Newsletter Called Foundation