Appcelerator Acquires Web App Development Suite Aptana
We’ve learned exclusively that Appcelerator, an open source platform for building and managing rich web, desktop and mobile applications, has acquired fellow development environment Aptana. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Appcelerator, which has raised a total of $15.2 million in funding (eBay is a strategic investor), offers a cross-platform development environment for over 10,000 native iOS, Android and desktop applications. Specifically, Appcelerator develops Titanium, an open-source developer platform meant to compete with Adobe AIR and the likes for building rich internet, mobile and desktop applications.
The addition of Aptana brings development tools to Appcelerator’s platform to offer a more complete environment for mobile, web, tablet, and desktop applications. The company says that the two web development communities gives Appcelerator a combined developer base of 1.5 million developers worldwide. And Appcelerator, which is apparently in the midst of another acquisition, says that it is poised to become one of the largest mobile app publishers in Appleâ€™s App Store this quarter.
- Appcelerator Acquires Cocoafish to Implement Mobile Cloud Services in Titanium
- Enabling the Mobile Cloud: Appcelerator Partners with Engine Yard
- Adobe And Zend Launch Flash Builder 4.5 For PHP Development
- OpenFeint Releases New Version Of Freemium Game Development Suite OFX
- Palm Pre Development In the Browser