RockYou Buys UK-Based Social Gaming Startup Playdemic
Based in Manchester, England, RockYou says Playdemic will operate independently as a subsidiary studio and develop Facebook games for a mainstream audience. Paul Gouge, Playdemic CEO and founder, will lead the studio as VP and General Manager. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Playdemicâ€™s management team is said to have held senior positions at publishers like Ubisoft, THQ and Eidos. Ian Livingstone, co-founder of Games Workshop and life president of Eidos, was a chief investor in Playdemic. The startup’s been around for roughly a year.
RockYou says it will try and grow the user base for Gourmet Ranch, Playdemicâ€™s first title that is currently playable on Facebook with half a million monthly active users. In the game, players can grow organic crops, raise animals and prepare and serve meals to their friends.
- RockYou Buys Studio 3 Blokes To Build Social Combat Games On Facebook
- RockYou Rocked By Layoffs As It Switches Focus To Social Games
- Exclusive – Crime (City) Pays: Social Gaming Startup Funzio Raises $20 Million
- RockYou CEO Lance Tokuda Steps Down
- Quepasa, The Facebook For Latinos, Buys Social Game Developer XtFT For $4 Million