Home > techcrunch > Make Them Stop: AT&T And Verizon Reps Are Now Fighting With My Tweet Stream

Make Them Stop: AT&T And Verizon Reps Are Now Fighting With My Tweet Stream

January 10th, 2011 01:16 admin Leave a comment Go to comments

Earlier today, I posted a simple observation on Twitter. “Interesting: @att has twice the Twitter followers of @verizonwireless and @verzion – so they have that going for them.” That sparked an outcry from disgruntled AT&T users who more or less said in reply: “that’s because everyone follows @att to complain!” Funny. And probably not too inaccurate. But two types of people I didn’t expect to respond started to: those from Verizon and AT&T.

Welcome to the chaos amongst the companies that is Verizon iPhone Eve.

People watch train wrecks in droves, too,” John Czwartacki, a Verizon employee who edits their policy blog, wrote in his retweet of my message. Czwartacki has a history of this public trash talking towards AT&T. Which is fun, and we appreciate.

He followed that up with another retweet and another zinger: “that took long = 4 mins,” he wrote noting how people quickly were saying so many people only follow AT&T to complain.

Enter AT&T PR. “@parislemon It’s about engagement. We also answer people’s questions and comments on Facebook. That’s a more interesting and stark contrast,” Communications head Seth Bloom tweeted to me in response.

AT&T’s director of social media, Chris Baccus, quickly followed that up with, “@parislemon Our AT&T fans/followers talk on a lot of topics and we respect their time with follow up unlike some brands who just broadcast

That sounds like a shot at Verizon. Now we’re getting somewhere.

All of this is quite humorous from a company PR/psychological warfare perspective. I’m just not sure why it had to fill up my @reply stream.

I’m also not sure why Verizon is sending tweets from the iPhone, then deleting them. Actually, I know exactly why they did that.

Everyone, it seems, is flipping out over this device — and that includes big companies who just can’t seem to contain themselves. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

MG Siegler@parislemon
MG Siegler

about 5 hours ago via Twitter for MacRetweetReply

MG Siegler@parislemon
MG Siegler

Ha ha – nearly everyone replied with the same thing: “they all followed @att to complain” — good point.

about 5 hours ago via Twitter for MacRetweetReply

John Czwartacki@CZ
John Czwartacki

RT @parislemon Interesting: @att has twice the Twitter followers of @verizonwireless & @verzion // People watch train wrecks in droves, too.

about 5 hours ago via twidroydRetweetReply

John Czwartacki@CZ
John Czwartacki

RT @parislemon Ha – nearly everyone replied with the same: “they all followed @att to complain” — good point. // that took long = 4 mins

about 5 hours ago via twidroydRetweetReply

Seth Bloom@sethbloom
Seth Bloom

about 5 hours ago via TweetDeckRetweetReply

Chris Baccus@cbaccus
Chris Baccus

about 4 hours ago via TweetDeckRetweetReply

Source: Make Them Stop: AT&T And Verizon Reps Are Now Fighting With My Tweet Stream