Ask a VC: Why SaaS Is More than a New Business Model, Plus Salesforce v. Yammer v. Jive (TCTV)
Who cares about enterprise software? Apparently you do. Even though I posted this solicitation for Ask a VC questions late on a Thursday, I woke up this morning to one of the better inboxes of questions since the show began.
Our guest in your virtual hot seat was Jason Green of Emergence Capital. Like a lot of things in tech, Green is a believer that the hype in software-as-a-service may have over-promised in the short term, but has underestimated how big this trend will get over time– and how big companies can get. His LPs certainly hope so. There are few firms who have bet so heavily on this single trend.
Readers asked most of the hard questions like, “If cloud is the future why are companies like Oracle, SAP and IBM doing so well?” and when– if ever– a billion dollar revenue enterprises would be confident enough in SaaS providers to have absolutely no servers in the back room.
We talk about Yammer– Green’s investment– and Salesforce– the investment that started Emergence– and which of them will win the social enterprise, and whether Jive could be a spoiler. We also discuss how the trend plays globally, both with startups and customers.
- Jive and Salesforce.com Get Hitched by Appirio
- SaaS Field Service Software ServiceMax Raises $14M From Mayfield, Salesforce And Others
- Jive’s Tony Zingale Makes a Case for Social Enterprise– with Actual Numbers (TCTV)
- Ask a VC: Questions about the New Enterprise Boom? Ask Jason Green
- Jive’s CEO Throws Down the Hammer on Competitors, Plans 2011 IPO (TCTV)