Home > techcrunch > RSS War! (As Fought On Twitter, Naturally)

RSS War! (As Fought On Twitter, Naturally)

January 4th, 2011 01:39 admin Leave a comment Go to comments

For 99 percent of you, the following will be way too insidery. But that’s part of what makes TechCrunch great, posting about fights about basically nothing. It’s sort of like Seinfeld, it’s just about the characters. We’ve gotten too far away from that under our new corporate parent in my opinion, so it’s time to jump back into the bullshit and fully embrace it in the new year.

This evening I was just minding my own business and doing what I like to do from time to time, look over data. In particular, I was looking over the 2010 TechCrunch data, because we had earlier posted some data given to us by WordPress.com (which hosts TechCrunch) that seemed a bit odd. Namely, Facebook was nowhere to be found as a top referrer to TechCrunch. That’s weird because as we’re all well aware by now, Facebook was the most visited site in the U.S. in 2010.

Anyway, looking at our Google Reader data, I noticed that Facebook was actually (unsurprisingly) a huge source of traffic for TechCrunch. But I noticed something else interesting too: Google Reader had taken a big hit in that regard when compared to 2009. In other words, the most popular feed reader seemed to take a big dip among TechCrunch readers. In fighting words, RSS is dead.

What followed was a war of words about the state of RSS, the state of TechCrunch, the state of AOL, Rackspace, Twitter, the open web, Quora, and even… Sweden.

To be fair, I did kick things off a bit earlier in the day by posting a quick thought about the state of RSS on my blog based on a Dave Winer post earlier in the day. And Winer quickly responded to that. Then started to spiral out of control… (as has happened before).

This will not be over quick. You will not enjoy this.

Dave Winer

Professional west coast tech bloggers are for the most part assholes.

about 4 hours ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

Scoble ought to spend more energy on making Rackspace more famous and/or useful to normal folk or else we might start saying Rackspace is…

about 3 hours ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

I asked my mother to open tech crunch in the browser. She said she thought they sold out to Exxon. Therefore Techcrunch is…

about 3 hours ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

I asked some NYU students Who is MG Ziegler. They thought he was a silent film star and died in 1970-something. therefore MG is…

about 3 hours ago via webRetweetReply

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

Twitter And Facebook Really Are Killing RSS (At Least For TechCrunch Visitors) http://t.co/fiJi0gB via @techcrunch

about 2 hours ago via Tweet ButtonRetweetReply

Dave Winer

@arrington @techcrunch — time for you to get rid of that nasty rss feed and turn your distribution over to ev and suck. I dare you.

Erick Schonfeld@erickschonfeld
Erick Schonfeld

@davewiner Even I don’t know who MG Ziegler is. I think you mean Siegler.

Dave Winer

@erickschonfeld — you guys take the hypocrisy cake. We should revoke your rss license. Just kidding of course

Dave Winer

Tech crunch is dead. Tech crunch is dead. It’s dead. Aol killed it. Really. Rest in peace. Goodbye.

Dave Winer

Everyone knows tech crunch is dead as dead can be. Killed. Dead. Dead. Pushing up the daisies. A former blog. Dead.dead. Sad.

Dave Winer

If you work for tech crunch maybe @Om will hire you.

Dave Winer

but you better hurry cause I don’t think @Om can hire all of you. Early bird gets the worm. :-)

Dave Winer

Tech crunch should just get rid of their website, and write all their stuff in tweets and facebook posts. Get ahead of the curve. Pivot!

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

@davewiner it’s not our fault rss is dead. also, you do realize you’re ranting about this on twitter, right?

Dave Winer

@arrington I love twitter and I don’t make a dime from rss so the jokes on you dude.

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

@davewiner ah, you are seriously mistaking me for someone who gives a shit about what you’re saying. let me know how it all ends.

Mike Melanson@rwwmike
Mike Melanson

@arrington I have to say, this has been amusing to watch.

about 2 hours ago via TweetDeckRetweetReply

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

@rwwmike i was just minding my own business playing cityville and all hell breaks loose over God knows what. I love Winer’s tantrums.

Dave Winer

I just thought since tech crunch was so generous with their opinions I should return the favor.

Dave Winer

Suck of these pundits who ship nothing and act like they know it all. Mike get rid of your rss feed. Stop being a fucking coward.

Dave Winer

Arrington works for aol. He couldn’t get rid of his rss feed if he wanted to. Paper tiger.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Danny Sullivan@dannysullivan
Danny Sullivan

@arrington @davewiner RSS powers much of what people read via twitter & facebook. it’s far from dead. it just being used in a different way

Mike McCue@mmccue
Mike McCue

@Scobleizer @Arrington @dannysullivan agreed Danny. For example RSS is used to display bulk of tweeted articles we show on Flipboard.

about 1 hour ago via FlipboardRetweetReply

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

@mmccue yeah but that’s not what winer is talking about. he’s upset bc RSS is just plumbing, he wants twitter-fame.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Dean Michael Berris@deanberris
Dean Michael Berris

For some reason, @davewiner sounds a lot like a grumpier @therealdvorak when it comes to things not RSS. ;)

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

@deanberris oh you like hypocrites, do you? ;/)

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Mike Dell@mgdell
Mike Dell

@davewiner Why would AOL want to get rid of RSS?

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

@mgdell — they wouldn’t

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Mike Dell@mgdell
Mike Dell

@davewiner @arrington @Scobleizer I’m confused. :)

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Michael Arrington@arrington
Michael Arrington

@mgdell me too.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

Everyone here’s the point. It would be suicide for any business to bet on twitter and facebook exclusively. You need rss more than I do.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

It’s time for tech crunch to pull their weight and do something good for the open web as if their existence depended on it. Cause it does.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply

Dave Winer

Same for Rackspace and Scoble.I know the Rackspace guys know this. Time for Scoble to get with the program.

about 1 hour ago via webRetweetReply