OpenFeint Sees 187% Spike In Downloads Of iOS Games Over Christmas Holiday
The holiday season traditionally sees a spike in mobile app downloads as users receive new devices and have more free time to interact with their phones. Today mobile social gaming platform OpenFeint is reporting that it added over 450,000 new users on Christmas day, which is a 184% spike over its daily average and the largest single day in its history in terms of new users. And the network added nearly 1.4 million new users in the four days around the holiday, including Christmas.
OpenFeint users downloaded more than 5 million OpenFeint enabled games during the 4-day stretch, with Android downloads growing by 73% and iOS downloads up by 187%. And it appears that activity is up from the same period last year; the network added 88% more users than a year ago.
So what contributed to this growth? OpenFeint’s cross-platform approach to its social gaming platform, first launching on the iPhone and iPad and more recently adding Android game developers to its rapidly growing community, definitely is helping set the gaming platform apart.
The company recently took a $8 million investment from Intel Capital and Chinese gaming company The9, as OpenFeint looks to expand beyond the iOS and Android platforms.
- Japanese Company GREE Buys Mobile Social Gaming Platform OpenFeint For $104 Million In Cash
- OpenFeint’s Game Channel Uses The Groupon-Model To Sell Its Mobile Games
- Intel Invests $3 Million In Mobile Social Gaming Platform OpenFeint
- Sega Taps OpenFeint’s Plug And Play Social Gaming Platform For iOS App
- OpenFeint Expands Free-To-Play Mobile Gaming Platform OFX To Android