eBay Buys Mobile App Developer Critical Path Software
The Portland-based mobile app developer has been helping eBay develop its mobile offerings, including its primary iPhone app, StubHub, eBay Classifieds and Shopping.com iPhone applications. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
The acquisition, which seems to center around talent, makes sense considering eBay’s big push towards developing its mobile suite of applications. Most recently, eBay just released barcode scanning app RedLaser (which eBay acquired in June) for Android phones.
Not only is mobile a great way to send traffic to eBay’s marketplace (the primary iPhone app has seen 14 million downloads in two years), but it’s also a a way to make money. eBay is posting record holiday sales through its mobile offerings, and is expected to see over $1.5 billion in mobile sales through its marketplace in 2010.
- eBay Posted Record $13M In Gross Mobile Sales Yesterday; Up 165 Percent
- eBay’s Gross Mobile Sales For The Holiday Season Up 166 Percent To $230 Million
- eBay And PayPal Black Friday Mobile Stats: Sales Doubled; Payment Volume Up 27 Percent
- eBay: Mobile Sales Grew From $600 Million To $2 Billion In 2010
- eBay’s iPhone App Combines Buying And Selling, Adds Barcode Scanning From RedLaser