Automattic Hits 300 Million Unique Visitors, Roughly $10 Million In Revenues
Our notes (paraphrased):
Can you talk about your vision from blogging, from 2003 to 2005 and now 2010?
Difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? Trademark change
Tricky one. Started as an open source project, but where we were i 05 we werent sure how to take it to the next level. what if it could be one-click simple, became wp.com. millions of people started using it, but we had the .org as well.
we looked at the situation, and we decided the trademark belongs in a non-profit org
Challenges of building a biz on open-source?
toni: biggest one is to start a business that wouldn’t kill the open source project, scare away the community. Our goal has been for both to reinforce each other, and it has worked. Both have seen growth.
How big is WordPress?
There are about 30 million publishers. 10% of all websites in the world. On wp.com 300m uniques
Are you making money?
We’re focused on growth right now, so we invest a lot in infrastructure and so on. We haven’t been focused on revenues so far, but we’re break-even.
How big is the company right now?
We’re about 74 people. I think we make about $1 million a month from all our services separately.
Where does most of the revenues come from?
Most comes from premium services, the hosting service
Goal’s not to be acquired.
- Automattic Brings Premium Themes To WordPress.com Users
- WordPress 3.1 Downloaded 15 Million Times In Under 5 Months
- Automattic Launches Jetpack, Gives WordPress.org Users WordPress.com Perks
- Fon Ended 2010 With 3.35 Million WiFi Hotspots, €28 Million In Revenues
- Mozilla: $104 Million In Revenues, 400 Million Users, Google Deal Running Through 2011