Zynga Buys Mobile Gaming Developer Newtoy
Social gaming giant Zynga has had a big week. The company launched a new game, CityVille, last night; debuted FarmVille in Japan; and teamed up with American Express to allow cardholders to exchange rewards for virtual goods. Today Zynga announced on a conference call with the media to announce that the company has acquired Texas-based gaming company Newtoy. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Updating.
Founded by brothers Paul and David Bettner, Newtoy has created a number of hit iPhone apps, including Chess With Friends and Words With Friends. Words With Freinds has been downloaded 12 million times.
Zynga Mobile head David Ko says that Newtoy will become Zynga’s “With Friends” office in Texas. Ko also shared some interesting statistics on Zynga’s current mobile usage. Farmville for the iPhone has seen 7 million downloads in only five months ad 10 million people per month accesing Zynga on a mobile device.
Zynga currently has 10 major games, and has made six acquisitions in the past six months. And 320 million people have engaged with a Zynga game.
- Zynga Brings Newtoy’s Crossword Game ‘Words With Friends’ To Android Phones
- Zynga Debuts First Mobile Web Browser Game Mafia Wars Atlantic City
- Zynga Buys Canadian Mobile App Development Firm Five Mobile; Opens Toronto Studio
- Zynga Continues International Expansion; Acqhires UK Mobile Gaming Studio Wonderland Software
- Zynga’s Shopping Spree Continues, Buys Video Game Developer Bonfire Studios