WITN: Do American Investors Care about Chinese Human Rights? And Should They?
A slight format change for Why Is This News? this week: no guest, just the two of us discussing this week’s big technology stories from outside the valley.
Much to Sarah’s delight, China has been making news again – for good and ill. On the one hand, the government is still clamping down on dissident opinion – sending someone to jail for a 140 character retweet – Â but at the same time Chinese companies are in greater demand than ever amongst American investors.
How does America reconcile its stance on human rights with its desire to profit from the world’s most lucrative emerging market? And should it have to reconcile it all? We discuss that question Â and more.
- Chinese Human Rights Orgs Hit By DDoS
- “Ban ‘Killer Bots,’” Urges Human Rights Watch
- UN Report Finds NSA Mass Surveillance Likely Violated Human Rights
- WITN: Is It Racist To Say That Chinese Manufacturing Leads To Low Quality Goods — And Fraud? [TCTV]
- Snowden Shortlisted For Europe’s Top Human Rights Award