Microsoft Says Kinect Left Open By Design
kai_hiwatari writes “Around two week ago when Adafruit announced a bounty for developing an open-source driver for the Kinect, Microsoft made it clear that they didn’t condone it. Now Microsoft seem to have realized the potential of their device and has made an U-turn. Alex Kipman, Xbox Director of Incubation, now says that they left the Kinect open by design. Kipman said, ‘What has happened is someone wrote an open-source driver for PCs that essentially opens the USB connection, which we didn’t protect, by design, and reads the inputs from the sensor.’”
- Microsoft: Xbox One Won’t Require Kinect To Function
- $2,000 Bounty For Open Source Xbox Kinect Drivers
- Microsoft Extends 360 With Avatar Kinect, Netflix Streaming And Hulu Plus With Kinect
- Microsoft Exec Says Xbox One Kinect Is Not Built For Advertising
- Will Microsoft Dis-Kinect Freeloading TV Viewers?