Hulu Updates Hulu Plus iOS App; Drops Subscription Fee To $7.99
Hulu has released an updated version of their Hulu Plus iOS app. The latest version of Hulu Plus app (v2.0) for iPhone and iPad offers enhanced queue and subscription management features besides introducing iPad users to a new split-screen player.
Hulu had launched the “Hulu Plus” subscription service for iPhone and iPad users in the US back in June.
In addition to these changes, the new version comes with improved playback performance, thumbnail viewer for iPad users and includes bug fixes.
Perhaps the more significant announcement from Hulu is the pricing of Hulu Plus subscription service. The company has revealed that their Hulu Plus offering has now moved past the preview mode and is now available to the public and has also announced that their Hulu Plus subscription shall now be available at a more attractive price of $7.99 a month. Current subscribers who signed up at the $9.99 per month plan will now be credited for the difference.
To put the pricing in perspective, consider this – music streaming services like Rhapsody and Spotify charge users $9.99 and Â£9.99 a month respectively for their premium offering. The price drop on Hulu Plus means streaming television content is now cheaper than streaming music. Quite evidently, this announcement is in a bid to gain more subscriptions. With web-enabled smartphones seeing a rapid rise over the past couple of years, Hulu may be looking at converting a lot of their current visitors into paying subscribers.
This is also evident from the fact that the company has announced a slew of new offers to incentivize paid subscribers. In a blog posted yesterday, Jason Kilar, the CEO at Hulu announced these “easy and risk-free” special offers:
- One free week trials for all new subscribers. In addition, current subscribers who joined during the preview period will receive a credit for one week of Hulu Plus toward their next monthâ€™s subscription.
- Two free weeks of Hulu Plus for both current subscribers and friends they invite through our referral program. Subscribers can learn more by clicking on the â€œReferralsâ€ tab on their Hulu profile page.
- 11 weeks ($20 worth) of free Hulu Plus with the purchase of a Sony BRAVIA connected TV or Blu-ray player through January 31, 2011. (See sony.com/huluplus.)
- One free month of Hulu Plus with the purchase of a Roku device through December 15, 2010. (See roku.com/hulu.)
You can download the latest version of the Hulu Plus app by using this iTunes link.
What do you think? Will the drop in subscription pricing and the new updated application incentivize you to turn into a paying subscriber? Let us know in the comments.
[via Hulu Blog]
- Hulu Plus Subscription Service Coming To iPad; Will You Pay $9.95/Month For It?
- Hulu Shaves $2 Off The Monthly Price Of Hulu Plus, Will Refund Early Adopters
- Hulu Updates App To Comply With Apple’s In-App Subscription Policy
- Subscription-Based ‘Hulu Plus’ Is Now Official
- Hulu Plus Subscription Service For iPhone And iPad Launched