Twitter For iPhone Gets Instant Notifications
Twitter has announced a new update to their iPhone application. The new version 3.2.1 of the Twitter app for iPhone brings one of the most sought after features among heavy users of the service – the ability to receive push notifications.
Announcing the update in a blog post yesterday, Twitter has stated that the latest version of the app will let users receive notifications on their iPhone for @mentions as well as direct messages.
Elaborating on the push notification service, Leland Rechis; product manager of Twitter Mobile, writes that the feature is set by default to notify the user for only @mentions from people that they follow. This is probably to reduce spammy notifications as well as to improve the usability of the feature. It is worth noting that such notifications are also available to users via SMS and the user can choose to include @mention notifications from people they do not follow via Settings.
The new version of the Twitter app also includes a number of other updates like a simplified geotagging feature that can now be enabled via a single tap, additional support for the iPhone 4 retina display and few bug fixes. For iPad users, the latest release will bring an improved user interface as well as better management of saved searches.
Here is the complete list of new features:
- Improved display of shortened URLs
- Correctly load reserved Twitter.com paths, such as http://twitter.com/newtwitter
- Fix connection error caused by a device clock being set incorrectly
- Additional retina graphics
- Enable geotagging in your account with one tap
- Inline media
- Manage saved searches
- UI improvements
The new version of the app is now available on the App Store and can be downloaded using this iTunes link. Don’t forget to tell us how you find the new push notification feature in the comments below.
[via Twitter Blog]
- Boxcar 4.0 Pushes iPhone Notifications To The Next Level
- Google Mobile iPhone App Gets Push Notifications For Gmail And Google Calendar
- Boxcar Pushes Towards The Future With Realtime Notifications On The Web
- iOS 5 Feature: iOS Notifications Revamped With Notification Center, Lock Screen Display & More
- Twitter Removes Annoying QuickBar From iPhone App For Now