Hipmunk Lands A Big Acorn: ITA (And Soon Google?) Will Help Power Their Airfare Results
Hipmunk exists to disrupt the flight search experience online. Obviously, the key to this is to have the best and the most results. The Hipmunk results have already been solid. But they’re about to get better thanks to a key partnership.
Announced today at the PhoCusWright conference, Hipmunk has signed an agreement to use ITA Sofware to help power their airfare results. Specifically, they’ll use ITA’s QPX product to look up airfare pricing. Those results, combined with Hipmunk’s tech, should make the service even better.
Hipmunk is one of the companies trying to change the poor experience of setting up travel online. It’s awful. Other companies like Gogobot and Oyster are working in this space too. ITA is coming at it from a different approach â€” they play nicely with many of theÂ incumbents. But they’re still clearly open to this disruption. They want their data to be used in new and interesting ways.
What’s most interesting here, of course, is that Google is in the process of acquiring ITA Software. Will this deal still be in tact if that goes through? Or will Google use the service to power their own products? Or will they just buy Hipmunk too? We shall see.
- Hipmunk Surfacing New $6 Million Round To Help You Surface Great Airfare
- Hipmunk Finds Their Next Tasty Nut: Hotel Search (And It Includes Airbnb!)
- Rome2rio Is Google Maps With Airfare, Train And Driving Options
- Hipmunk’s Official Round: $4.2 Million Led By Ignition And A Group Of Online Travel Experts
- Hipmunk Takes Simple Flight Search And Makes It Even Easier On The iPhone