Imeem Founders Raise $5M From Andreessen Horowitz For Social Photo App Picplz
Mixed Media Labs, the developers of social photo sharing service Picplz, has just raised $5 million in new funding from Andreessen Horowitz. Marc Andreessen will be joining the startup’s board of directors
Developed by Imeem execs Dalton Caldwell and Bryan Berg, Picplz aims to be a dead simple way for users to share the photos they take on the phone on the web. Pictures taken with picplz are synced to your profile on picplz.com and tagged with your location and place. And you can post directly from the app to Facebook, Twitter, and can also check-in to Foursquare when you take a picture. The app also allows you to follow other users’ photo streams, similar to the Twitter model.
PicPlz most recently rolled out updated apps with the ability to add special affects to pictures, a new UI and improved photo upload speeds.
From the announcement, it looks like we can expect more to come from Mixed Media Labs. It’s unclear what that is at the moment, but we’ll keep you updated on any new developments.
- Andreessen Horowitz Isn’t Hedging its Bets with Picplz and Instagram; It Has Picked Picplz
- Don’t Call It A PivotPlz: PicPlz Spun Off As Mixed Media Labs Prepares Their Next Product
- PicPlz Adds Speed, Polish As The Mobile Photo Wars Rage On
- Accel, Khosla, and Andreessen Horowitz Pour Another $30 Million Into Social Browser RockMelt
- Andreessen Horowitz Announces Yet Another Growth Fund of $200M