Bebo Adds Meebo In Belated Effort To Win Over Chat-starved Users
Bebo just launched Meebo’s web-based instant messaging client across the social network and the company says a million messages have been sent already
This is Beboâ€™s first step towards a much more real-time, interactive platform since they sold to AOL for $850 million in 2008. Right after that AOL let the platform languish, eventually shutting it down for tax purposes and selling it for about $10m to Criterion Capital Partners. True story.
The new team of 20 or so employees has – surprise surprise – made the site profitable and it’s now coming back in user numbers. Mike Arrington’s recent interview with CTO Akash Garg suggested they’d be going for “Self expression, mobile and video will be strong components.” Clearly IM and Meebo is part of that.
- Bebo Rolls Out bChat – Chatroulette Sans-Private Parts
- Meebo Discontinuing All Services Except for Meebo Bar
- Birch Returns To Help Re-Invent Bebo, Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is
- Meebo Acquires Mindset Media, Prepares To Venture Into Direct Response Advertising
- $25 Million for Web-based IM? Not Exactly. Meebo’s CEO Explains. (TCTV)