Sprint To Launch ZTE Peel 3G Case For iPod Touch; Will Turn It Into a Phone
The iPod Touch is often seen as a device that is an “iPhone without the phone“. But with the lack of in-built cellular data access, it may not really be as mobile a device as it should be. With an increasing number of cloud-based apps on the App Store, this lack of cellular data access could come off as a significant problem.
It comes as no surprise that mobile hotspot devices like Verizon’s MiFi are pretty popular among users looking to use iPod Touch while they are on the move.
Sources close to BGR have revealed that Sprint is planning to offer an alternate solution to this issue with the launch of the ZTE Peel iPod Touch case. ZTE Peel acts as a traditional casing for the iPod Touch while also enabling users to access internet over a cellular network from places where there is no Wi-Fi. The solution could drastically improve the utility of the iPod Touch as a mobile device.
The sources have further noted that the ZTE Peel case could launch by the 14th of November. While the price of this case itself is not known at the moment, it is being speculated that Sprint could be offering cellular access at $29.99 per month for up to 1GB of data access. This plan may be provided without any contract.
The launch of ZTE Peel is indicative of the success that Sprint has had in the past few months in delivering network solutions to iDevices. Sprint had successfully launched their Overdrive mobile hotspot solution for iPhone and iPad in the past. In a recent interview to GigaOm, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse attributed the burgeoning sale of 3G/4G mobile hotspot devices to the success of the iPad Wi-Fi model.
It will be interesting to see if Sprint will see similar success with the iPod Touch ZTE Peel case. What do you think? Will you be buying one?
- Next iPod Touch May Get 3G And GPS?
- Sprint Customers Face 5GB Hotspot Data Cap, As of Oct. 2
- Sn0wbreeze 2.1 To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 2G, Apple TV 2G iOS 3.2.2 For iPad Released
- Sprint Plans To Limit Mobile Hotspot Plans To 5GB Ahead Of iPhone 5 Launch
- JailbreakMe 3.0 Released To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G On iOS 4.3.3 Using Mobile Safari