VLC Media Player Now Available For iPhone And iPod Touch
Applidium has just released the universal version of their popular app VLC Media Player, which means that it is now compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch.
VLC is a popular open source media player for the Mac and other platforms that allows you to watch video files in any format.
VLC Media Player for iPad, which was released a month back was an instant hit and is one of the most popular apps on the App Store.
The new version of the iOS app comes with the following features:
You can now delete files from the application, without having to go through iTunes
Many more extensions are being recognized
Much faster decoding thanks to assembly optimizations
Applidium had also provided some more details about the new version in a blog post:
Playback should be smoother than the previous version. Indeed, we’ve enabled low-level assembly optimizations to use the ARMv7 core of the Apple A4 processor as efficiently as possible.
It’s still not possible to use the hardware video decoder, so unfortunately in most cases 720p video still won’t play smoothly.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t support older iPhones and iPods. You’ll need either an iPhone 3GS or an iPhone 4 (or a same-generation iPod). The reason is actually pretty simple : based on our tests, the older iPhones (3G and Edge) don’t have enough power to properly decode most movies.
We’re supporting a lot more video extensions. Also, as many of you requested, it’s also now possible to open attachments from Mail or Safari (or any other applications actually) in VLC!
To watch videos using the VLC player, you can copy video files to your iDevice using the iTunes file sharing feature:
Connect your iDevice
Click the Apps tab
Scroll down to the File Sharing area
Then choose VLC
Click the Add button and find the video(s) you want to copy to your iDevice
The VLC Media Player for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch is a must-have app as it allows you to watch any video file without going through the hassle of converting them into a format that is supported.
VLC Media Player is free and you can download from the App Store using this iTunes link.
As always, let us know what you think of the iPhone app in the comments section below.
- Sn0wbreeze 2.1 To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 2G, Apple TV 2G iOS 3.2.2 For iPad Released
- Sn0wbreeze To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 2G For Windows Users Released
- Greenpois0n To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G And iOS 3.2.2 For iPad Released
- Amazon Cloud Player Now Works On The iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch (Sort Of)
- PwnageTool 4.1 To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, Apple TV 2G & iOS 3.2.2 For iPad Released