Apps Can Be Installed On New Apple TV
Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has now figured out a way to install iOS apps on Apple TV by modifying its type to make them Apple-TV compatible.
However, before you get excited, please note that it is still not possible to launch the installed iOS app as there is no application launcher in Apple TV.
Troughton-Smith announced his discovery on his Twitter page:
You can definitely add an AppleTV to the provisioning portal, and if you give an app a UIDeviceFamily of 3 it will install on it when signed
So, not only is the AppleTV set up for installing applications (of UIDeviceFamily 3), but the installation actually works
He has confirmed that the application is installed on Apple TV by using iPhone Explorer to verify it. As you can see in the screenshot below, the iOS app shows up under Apps just like any other iOS device.
We can’t wait to see the first iOS app running on the new Apple TV. Which jailbreak apps or hacks is on your wish list for Apple TV?
- Apple TV To Start Shipping Soon; More Evidence Of Apple TV Apps
- Pages From iWork Suite Of Apps Hacked To Work On iPhone
- Dev Team Jailbreak Apple TV Using SHAtter
- App Store For Apple TV May Be Coming Soon; AirPlay To Allow Streaming Of Content From Apps To Apple TV
- Apple Pulls 1,000 Apps After Developer Scam