This Is a News Website Article About a Scientific Paper
jamie passes along a humorous article at The Guardian which pokes fun at the shallow and formulaic science journalism typical of many mainstream news outlets. Quoting:
In this paragraph I will state the main claim that the research makes, making appropriate use of ‘scare quotes’ to ensure that it’s clear that I have no opinion about this research whatsoever. … If the research is about a potential cure, or a solution to a problem, this paragraph will describe how it will raise hopes for a group of sufferers or victims. This paragraph elaborates on the claim, adding weasel-words like ‘the scientists say’ to shift responsibility for establishing the likely truth or accuracy of the research findings on to absolutely anybody else but me, the journalist. … ‘Basically, this is a brief soundbite,’ the scientist will say, from a department and university that I will give brief credit to. ‘The existing science is a bit dodgy, whereas my conclusion seems bang on,’ she or he will continue.”
- What Does It Actually Cost To Publish a Scientific Paper?
- Website Pitches Scientific Solutions In Search of Problems
- Paper.li Upgrades Social News Curation Platform, Adds Eric Hippeau As An Advisor
- EU Court Holds News Website Liable For Readers’ Comments
- Decades-old Scientific Paper May Hold Clues To Dark Matter