How To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users [Mac]
In this guide, we will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3G.
Here are some points to note before you proceed.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution.
- Do not forget to backup your iPhone before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPhone 3G
- After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your iPhone secure.
- Please note that this guide is only meant for Mac users. Windows version of Redsn0w is currently not available. However, Windows users can checkout Sn0wbreeze.
- Redsn0w will NOT unlock your iPhone 3G. You can use Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone 3G after you have successfully updated and jailbroken iOS 4.1.
- Redsn0w does NOT hactivate your iPhone, so your iPhone should be activated via iTunes first. You can checkout this article to hactivate your iPhone without an official iPhone carrier SIM or simply borrow your friends official iPhone SIM to activate your iPhone.
- Please ensure you are running iTunes 9.2 or later.
- Redsn0w does not work on iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4.
Step 1: Download the latest release of Redsn0w by clicking here and save the application in a folder named "Pwnage" on your desktop.
Step 2: Click here to download the latest iOS 4.1 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw) for iPhone 3G and save it in the same folder.
Step 3: Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Pwnage folder.
Step 4: Connect your iPhone 3G to the computer, which should automatically launch iTunes.
Step 5: From the 'Devices' section on the left pane of iTunes, select your iPhone 3G device. Now, hold the option key down and click the 'Restore' button.
Step 6: Navigate to the Pwnage folder on the desktop and select the downloaded iOS 4.1 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw). Click on the 'Choose' button to let iTunes update your iPhone with the required firmware.
Step 7: Navigate back to the Pwnage folder and launch the Redsn0w application.
Step 8: You will be asked to select the corresponding IPSW file. Click on the Browse button and select the iOS 4.1 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw).
Step 9: Redsn0w will verify the firmware file and inform you if it has successfully identified it. Click on 'Next' to proceed.
Step 10: Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data
Step 11: You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Check the following options. A few of these may have already been selected by default.
- Install Cydia
- Enable Multitasking
- Enable Homescreen Wallpaper
- Enable Battery percentage
'Verbose boot' offers detailed booting information to users. This may not be necessary for common users and need not be selected. You may also choose to not check 'Custom boot logo' and 'Custom recovery logo' options if you prefer the default icons. However, if you wish to provide your own boot and recovery logos, do remember that these images have to be PNG files in RGB or grayscale mode and inside 320×480 resolution.
Step 12: Select 'Next' to continue. You will now be prompted to switch OFF your iPhone 3G and plug it to the computer. Follow the instructions and click on 'Next' to move to the next screen:
Step 13: You will now need to put your iPhone 3G into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPhone 3G down for 2 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the iPhone button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button depressed. Redsn0w will now identify the device:
Step 14: Your iPhone 3G should reboot now.
Step 15: Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel
Step 16: You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the 'Finish' button to exit the application.
Step 17: Your iPhone will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPhone 3G should be successfully jailbroken. You should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPhone 3G's home screen.
Hope this helped. Please don't forget to drop us a line to tell us how it goes.
- How To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users [Windows]
- How To Jailbreak iOS 4 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users [Windows]
- How To Jailbreak iOS 4 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users [Mac]
- How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS On iOS 4.3.1 Using Redsn0w [Windows / Mac]
- How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS On iOS 4.3.2 Using Redsn0w [Windows / Mac]