SHAtter: Jailbreak For iOS 4.1 Could Be A Tethered Or Untethered Jailbreak
We had reported that the new bootrom exploit discovered by pod2g of the Chronic Dev Team allows the use of unsigned code execution, which could help in creating a tethered jailbreak called SHAtter, a jailbreak for life.
Tethered jailbreak means that the jailbreak needs to be reapplied every time you power down your iOS device. If you let the battery run out or restart your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch then you will need to reapply the jailbreak by connecting to your computer (tethering).
Chronic Dev Team have provided the following updates on their blog:
- We have not yet announced if this is tethered or untethered
- We have not yet announced details about the exploit
- Anything you read saying it is one of the above in definite terms is just speculation, again, we have not given official word about the tether status or any details regarding the exploit used.
They reiterated this point on Twitter:
SHAtter is not a tethered jailbreak nor it is untethered… @chronicdevteam have not yet announced anything about that. Stop speculations :)
They’ve also clarified that they’re working hard on the jailbreak and making steady progress:
Although we still can’t give any details of the exploit(s) that need to be used, I figured I’d make an update here to just let you guys know that we are still working hard on the jailbreak and making steady progress. Please keep in mind that even though we have had the method for awhile, there was a certain very key element that we (or rather, pod2g the great) only got working a few days ago, so it’s not like we have this packaged up and we are just sitting on it. It is being actively worked on as I type this (the loader, the payload itself, the easy to use computer-side tools, the payload, the patches, etc.) Just hang tight, it will definitely be worth it.
Let’s hope that SHAtter is an untethered jailbreak.
[via Chronic Dev Team]
- How To Convert Your Tethered iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak To Untethered Jailbreak Using Corona Untether
- SHAtter Will Jailbreak All Existing iOS Devices For Life
- Sn0wbreeze 2.0 To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 Will Be Released Soon; SHAtter Jailbreak Progress Update
- Dev Team Jailbreak iOS 4.1 On iPod Touch 4G Using SHAtter
- Chronic Dev Team Actively Working On Untethered Jailbreak For iOS 5