September Is Cyborg Month
Snowmit writes “In May 1960, Manfred E. Clynes and Nathan S. Kline presented a paper called ‘Drugs, Space, and Cybernetics.’ The proceedings of the symposium were published in 1961, but, before that, an excerpt of Clynes & Kline’s paper appeared in the September issue of Astronautics magazine (issue 13), entitled Cyborgs and Space [PDF]. Aside from a mention in the New York Times, that’s is the first time the word appears in print. This month is the 50th anniversary of that article. To commemorate, a group of writers and artists have gotten together to create 50 Post About Cyborgs. Over the course of the month, there will be essays, fiction, links to great older material, comics, and even a song. We’re going to talk about Daleks, IEDs, Renaissance memory palaces, chess computers, prosthetic imagination, Videodrome, mutants, sports, and maybe the Bible. To kick things off, Kevin Kelly wrote this essay arguing that we’ve been cyborgs all along.”
Source: September Is Cyborg Month
- China Launching First Space Station Module In September
- Daleks To Be Given ‘A Rest’ From Dr. Who
- Apple To Discontinue Free Case Program On All iPhone 4s Sold After September 30
- Apple Might Release New iPhone 4 To Fix Antenna Problem By End Of September?
- New Windows Coming In Late September — But Which One?