Spammers Attack Apple’s Ping Social Network
An anonymous reader writes “Scammers and spammers have deluged the new Ping musical social network, created by Apple and built into the new version of iTunes. Sophos researchers have found that Ping is being overrun by scams and spam messages. ‘Apple seems to have anticipated a certain degree of malfeasance, as profile pictures that you upload will not appear until approved by Apple. They are likely filtering for other offensive content as well, so they probably have means in place they could use to stop the spam.’ It’s ironic that the most common scams on Ping right now revolve around Apple’s own iPhone.”
The Sophos blog post adds that Apple is doing their best to clamp down on the spam, manually deleting many of the offending messages for now. Reader Tootech adds that Facebook integration was quickly disabled, possibly because of blocked API access.
- Football-Loving Spammers Attack Facebook Community Forum
- Ping Could Be Apple’s Social Networking Backdoor?
- Apple Introduces iTunes 10 With Ping – Social Network For Music – Available For Download
- Apple Announces New iPods, iTunes 10, Social Network, AppleTV
- Spammers Using Soft Hyphen To Hide Malicious URLs