“Dislike” Button Scam Hits Facebook Users
An anonymous reader writes “A message saying ‘I just got the Dislike button, so now I can dislike all of your dumb posts lol!!’
is spreading rapidly on Facebook, tempting unsuspecting users into believing that they will be able to “dislike” posts as well as “like” them.
However, security researchers say that it is just the latest ‘survey scam’, tricking Facebook users into into giving a rogue Facebook application permission to access their profile, and posting spam messages from their account.
The rogue application requires victims to complete an online survey (which makes money for the scammers) before ultimately redirecting to a Firefox browser add-on for a Facebook dislike button developed by FaceMod.
“As far as we can tell, FaceMod aren’t connected with the scam — their browser add-on is simply being used as bait,” says Sophos security blogger Graham Cluley.”
- Facebook May Dislike the Social Fixer Extension, but Many Users Love It (Video)
- Facebook App Scam Promises To Reveal Who Checked Out Your Profile
- Twitter Follows The Tweet Button With A Follow Button, Sort Of Like Their Like Button
- Mozilla Updates Firefox With Forget Button, DuckDuckGo Search, and Ads
- The ‘Back’ Button the Most Clicked Firefox Icon