Over the past few days, we have been audience to a number of rumors and speculations about Apple's upcoming product announcements.
With the Apple media event set to get underway at the Yerba Buena Center for Arts in San Francisco in less than a few hours from now, here is a recap of all the possible announcements that may be in store for us.
- The next generation iPod Touch could come with a microphone and a front facing camera that supports FaceTime video calling. A 5MP or 3.2MP rear-facing camera that supports HD video recording too is not ruled out.
- A new high resolution display is on the cards. Apple is expected to bring the new iPhone's popular 960×640 pixel resolution retina display to the upcoming version of iPod Touch.
- The back casing could be flatter and similar to what we see on MacBook Pro.
- Apple could introduce a new 3G-capable iPod Touch model.
- Apple may rebrand Apple TV as iTV that is expected to launch at a $99 price point.
- The new iTV is expected to be based on the iOS platform and will be integrated with the Apple App Store.
- The hardware is likely to see major changes with an iPhone-like form factor that runs on Apple's native A4 processor.
- Full HD video streaming may not be enabled. Instead, Apple TV could render video at 720p resolution.
- The new Apple TV may offer streaming of movies and TV shows via Netflix.
- Apple could launch a new $0.99 TV show subscription service. Speculations are rife that this monthly subscription could give users unlimited access to any particular TV show. Update: We are hearing a last minute rumor that Apple will introduce Debut $0.99 iTunes TV Show Rentals from Fox and ABC.
- The rumored cloud-based iTunes system may not be unveiled. However, Apple is likely to enhance the web-based iTunes service with new social features that will make it easy for users to share their music tastes with their friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- The duration of iTunes music preview could be extended from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.
- The form factor of iPod nano could be modified significantly to include a more squared design measuring 3 cm x 3 cm with touch screen display and could do away with the familiar clickwheel.
- The upcoming version could be touch-enabled and run a version of iOS.
- Apple may announce a new version of iPhone 4 that will address the highly publicized antenna issue (though we think it very unlikely).
- Apple is very likely to unveil their social gaming network, Game Center, with a brand new look.
- Apple might release or announce the release date of iOS 4.1. It might include the fix for the proximity sensor and Bluetooth problems reported by iPhone 4 users and also fix for the performance issue observed by iPhone 3G after upgrading to iOS 4.
The media event shall commence at 10 AM Pacific Time. You can watch the live streaming of the event on your iDevice as well as follow the coverage here on iPhone Hacks.