Apple’s Training Document On iPhone 4 Reception Issues Leaked; Users Report – Apple Offering Free Bumper? Fix Coming Soon?
Boy Genius Report claims that it has received a copy of Apple’s internal training document to help its AppleCare reps handle customer complaints regarding iPhone 4’s widely publicized reception issues.
According to the leaked document, Apple continues to take a stance that nothing is wrong with iPhone 4’s new antenna system.
Boy Genius Report has published the details of the internal training document, which provides the procedure that AppleCare reps have been asked to follow:
1. Keep all of the positioning statements in the BN handy – your tone when delivering this information is important.
a. The iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. Our testing shows that iPhone 4’s overall antenna performance is better than iPhone 3GS.
b. Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world.
c. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 3GS, avoid covering the bottom-right side with your hand.
d. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 4, avoid covering the black strip in the lower-left corner of the metal band.
e. The use of a case or Bumper that is made out of rubber or plastic may improve wireless performance by keeping your hand from directly covering these areas.
2. Do not perform warranty service. Use the positioning above for any customer questions or concerns.
3. Don’t forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band.
4. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it.
5. We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers – DON’T promise a free bumper to customers.
The training document does not mention anything about a software update to fix the issue.
This seems to contradict reports that have indicated that Apple might release iOS 4.01 to address the reception issues. Daniel, one of our readers, who is also facing the issue, has just commented that Apple Store staff told him that a fix is coming soon:
My wife has a 3GS (without IOS4) and I have the iPhone 4. When I set the phones side by side on a table at our house (without holding them) she gets 4 – 5 bars and can make calls while I get 0 – 1 bars and have failed calls. My iPhone 3G didn't have any of these issues. I absolutely love everything else about the iPhone 4, but the reception issues are frustrating. I called Apple and they sent me to the Apple store. The Apple store said there is a fix coming out soon to address the known issue.
We’re also getting tips from our readers that Apple is handing out free bumper for iPhone 4 to users reporting the reception issue, which again contradicts the procedure that AppleCare staff have been asked to follow.
Meanwhile, Kewlj1313, one of our readers to first report the reception issue claims that Apple is sending him a free bumper.
He has also published the screenshot of the email he received from Apple as proof:
Are you facing the reception issues on your iPhone 4? What are AppleCare reps telling you? Please let us know in the comments section below.
Thanks Daniel and Kewlj1313 for the tip!
- Apple Planning To Release iOS 4.01 To Fix iPhone 4 Reception Issues?
- iPhone 4 Reception Issues: Detailed Analysis
- Apple: iPhone 4 Reception Problem Due To Incorrect Display Of Signal Strength; iPhone Software Update Coming Soon To Fix It
- Apple Launches iPhone 4 Case Program; Releases iPhone App To Apply For Free Bumper or Case
- iPhone 4 Reception Issues – Competitors Take A Jab While Apple Scouts For Antenna Engineers