Best Phone For a Wi-Fi-Only Location?
bendodge writes “I am planning on heading to a university in a remote area with very poor cellular service (the only signal is spotty Verizon voice, no data). However, the entire campus is thoroughly blanketed in Wi-Fi. I am trying to find the best and most economical ‘Wi-Fi phone’ or else hack one together. Belkin/Netgear sell what is essentially a portable Skype device for $180. These folks recommend outfitting an iPod Touch with a mic and VoIP apps. I am looking for something that can make and receive calls to and from landlines with incoming call notification. What experiences have Slashdot readers had and what would you recommend?”
- Sprint To Launch ZTE Peel 3G Case For iPod Touch; Will Turn It Into a Phone
- Skype Reverses Decision To Drop OS X 10.5 Support, Retires Windows Phone 7 App
- Ask Slashdot: Do You Still Need a Phone At Your Desk?
- Skype App Updated, Allows 3G Calling On the iPhone
- Back Of The Phone Apps: Instagram, Picplz, Path Vs. Front Of The Phone App: DailyBooth