Violent Video Games Only Affect Some People
An anonymous reader writes “The media would have you believe that violent video games will be the downfall of our civilization and the cause of moral decline in young people. A recent study suggests that most people aren’t so easily influenced by the violence; instead, just a few bad apples are likely to react poorly, with everyone else showing little or no effect from playing these games.”
The American Psychological Association has posted the academic paper (PDF) as well, in addition to a few related studies. One examines how games can be a force for good (PDF), and another looks at the motivations behind children playing such games (PDF).
- Study Suggests Violent Video Games May Make Teens Less Violent
- If Video Games Make People Violent, So Do Pictures of Snakes
- New Study Fails To Show That Violent Video Games Diminish Prosocial Behavior
- Another Study Attacks Violent Video Games, Claims To Be “Conclusive”
- Do Violent Games Hinder Development of Empathy?