Hacker Jailbreaks iPhone 3GS Running iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 4
Kaatje explains that the process involved creating a custom ipsw file for iPhone OS 4.0 and restoring it on her iPhone 3GS using Pwnagetool:
“I accomplished this by patching asr, lockdownd, LLB, iBEC, IBSS, iBoot, kernelcache, MobileSafari, Services.plist, and fstab. The binaries were patched with IDA Pro and OxED and were then diffed against the original pwned files with bsdiff to create patch files. I then took the diff files and built a firmware bundle that I dropped into Pwnagetool and updated the cydia tree within Pwnagetool as well. Once this was done, I created a custom ipsw with Pwnagetool, unzipped it, applied a pwned LLB from a pwnagetool generated 3.1.3 ipsw, zipped it back up and restored to my device.”
She also reports that:
"This is a work in progress but I thought I would share the results so far. Cydia still has some issues, many applications install but crash, some examples include mobileterminal, sbsettings, five icon dock."
The important thing to note here is that she managed to retain the baseband 05.11.07 on iPhone 3GS and doesn't update it to the new baseband included in the latest beta version of iPhone OS 4.0, which means that the jailbroken iPhone 3GS can be software unlocked.
It will be interesting to see if the iPhone hacking community can stay ahead of the cat and mouse game when Apple releases the final version of iPhone OS 4.0.
- Breaking News: iPhone Dev Team Release PwnageTool 4.0 To Update And Jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G With iOS 4
- Geohot Jailbreaks iPhone 4
- Sn0wbreeze 2.3 Beta 4 For iOS 4.3 Released; Allows Users To Unlock iPhone 4 Baseband 01.59.00, iPhone 3GS Basebands 05.13.04 Or Earlier Using Ultrasn0w
- Dev Team Releases Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 For iOS 5; Adds PwnageTool Functionality
- Sn0wbreeze 2.4 Beta 1: Tethered Jailbreak For iOS 4.3.1 For iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch Released