Things We Still Don’t Know About Apple’s New iPhone
While this could be partly true, there are many things that we still don't know about Apple's fourth generation iPhone and are likely to find out when Apple's CEO Steve Jobs unveils the next iPhone at Apple's WWDC 2010 Keynote address.
Here are the list of things that we still don't know about Apple's new iPhone:
Though iPhone 3GS is quite fast, we hope and expect the iPhone to be even faster. Gizmodo has not provided any details about the processor found in the next iPhone prototype. It has been widely speculated that the next generation iPhone could include Apple's in-house A4 processor – the 1 GHz system-on-chip that runs the iPad.
iPhone 3GS has 256MB RAM, which is twice the RAM available in iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G. One of the reasons why features like multitasking won't be available on the older iPhone models. So we need to see if the next iPhone will get more RAM. It looks unlikely based on the 256MB RAM available in the iPad.
The maximum storage available in iPhone 3GS is 32GB. Gizmodo has reported that the iPhone prototype has storage of 80GB. So it will be interesting to see the storage options available in the next iPhone.
According to John Gruber from Daring Fireball, the iPhone 4G will have a 960 x 640 display. Gizmodo has observed that the screen resolution is higher but since they couldn't play with the device, it was not possible to confirm the resolution of the next iPhone prototype. It is also speculated that Apple's next iPhone could get an AMOLED or OLED screen.
Will the launch of fourth generation iPhone finally bring an end to AT&T's exclusivity? With carriers like Verizon expected to roll out their 4G service in a few months after the launch of the new iPhone, will the next iPhone actually be 4G compatible? Will we finally see a Verizon iPhone?
In its report, Gizmodo has noted that the battery of iPhone HD prototype appears to be 15% bigger than that of iPhone 3GS. But with a faster processor in the new iPhone and features like multitasking it will be interesting to see if Apple will be able to significantly improve battery life in the next iPhone to address one of the biggest concerns of the iPhone since it was launched in 2007.
While we already know that Apple's new iPhone will get a front facing camera, we don't know the resolution of that camera. We've heard rumors that the next iPhone will get a higher resolution camera at the back but we don't know the megapixels of the camera at the back.
That's not all, there are a lot of other things that we still don't know like:
- The name of Apple's new iPhone – we've heard iPhone 4G and iPhone HD so far. iPhone HD is currently our favorite due to the higher resolution screen.
- Will the 16GB iPhone 3GS be the new entry level iPhone model after the launch of the fourth generation iPhone?
- How will the video chat feature work with the new front facing camera?
- Will there be any hidden features in iPhone OS 4 for the new iPhone?
- We have a cool list of features that we want in Apple's next iPhone, will Apple surprise us by including some or all of them in its fourth generation iPhone.
- Though we don't expect Apple to increase the prices, we will have to wait and see if Apple will continue to offer the new iPhone for $199 and the model with more storage for $299, while the older iPhone model for $99.
Have we missed something out from the list? Let us know your views in the comments below.