iPhone 3G Users Won’t Be Able To Customize Homescreen Wallpaper In iPhone OS 4?
Steve Jobs also responded to a user to confirm that iPhone OS 4 won’t work with the original iPhone and iPod Touch.
The iPhone OS 4 preview page also states that not all features are compatible with all iDevices and points out that the multitasking feature won’t be available for iPhone 3G and the second-generation iPod touch users.
Folks at Gizmodo who have been digging into iPhone OS 4 beta are reporting that iPhone 3G users also won’t be able to customize their homescreen wallpaper.
Though performance concerns due to only 128MB RAM in iPhone 3G, which is half the RAM available in iPhone 3GS could be a valid reason for not allowing multitasking, it would be ridiculous if iPhone 3G users can’t change something as simple as customizing iPhone homescreen wallpaper in iPhone OS 4.
Before iPhone 3G users get upset or angry, let's remember that this is the first beta version and several reports have suggested that it is quite buggy. So it very likely that this limitation is a bug that will be fixed in future iPhone OS 4 beta releases.
If it’s not a bug then we don't know how Apple will be able to justify it. Let us know your views in the comments below.
- iPhone OS 4.0 Features Revealed: Bluetooth Keyboards, Customize Homescreen Wallpaper, Multi-Core Support
- Redsn0w 0.9.5 To Jailbreak iOS 4.0 GM Released, Enables Multitasking, Custom Homescreen Wallpaper For iPhone 3G
- Steve Jobs Explains Why Custom Homescreen Wallpaper Feature Is Not Supported In iOS 4 For iPhone 3G
- CameraWallpaper: Jailbreak App Will Allow Users To Replace Wallpaper With Live Feed From iPhone’s Camera
- DeepEnd: Jailbreak Tweak Gives 3D-like Effect By Moving iPhone’s Wallpaper Based On Orientation