Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone OS 3.1.3 Using Mobile Safari Coming Soon?
Are userland jailbreaks staging a comeback?
After European researchers Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully hacked an iPhone using an exploit in Mobile Safari last week at the Pwn2Own contest, there has been renewed hopes of an untethered userland jailbreak becoming a possibility soon.
Unlike conventional jailbreaking techniques, userland jailbreaks are a much easier process whereby users are required to merely point their Mobile Safari browser to a particular URL to jailbreak their device. This technique was possible in iPhone OS 1.x but have since then been rendered ineffective thanks to continuous security upgrades by Apple.
However, userland jailbreaks could be made available once again. iPhone hacker Comex has released a demo video showcasing the impending arrival of such a jailbreak. In this recently released video, Comex demonstrates a fully untethered userland jailbreak of iPhone OS 3.1.3. While hoax videos as these are not exactly uncommon, the video has received positive reviews from popular jailbreakers 'MuscleNerd' and Joshua Hill from the iPhone Dev Team who claim that the video is in fact genuine. Check out the preview video below of what appears to be a untethered jailbroken iPod Touch 3rd Gen:
There has been no announcement on the release date for the userland jailbreak.
You might know that iPhone jailbreaking expert, Geohot has also demonstrated an untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G; that might also work on the iPad.
- JailbreakMe 2.0 Released To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G On iOS 4, iOS 4.0.1 And iPad On iOS 3.2.1, iOS 3.2 Via Mobile Safari
- JailbreakMe 3.0 Released To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G On iOS 4.3.3 Using Mobile Safari
- Spirit For Linux: Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch Released
- Spirit: Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Released
- Untethered iOS 6.1 evasi0n Jailbreak Arrives For iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch