Apple Releases iPhone OS 3.2 SDK GM Seed; Reveals Pricing Policy For iPad OS Updates
Apple has seeded developers of its iPhone Developer Program with the Golden Master version of iPhone OS 3.2 SDK.
The Golden Master version means that it is the shipping version of the software that developers must use to develop iPad apps.
According to MacRumors, the end-user licensing agreement for the iPad software has revealed one interesting aspect of Apple's plans for iPad OS updates:
Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.
Currently iPhone users can upgrade to the latest iPhone OS updates for free while iPod Touch users have to pay for each major iPhone OS update.
According to iPad's end-user licensing agreement, it looks like iPad users will be able to upgrade to next major upgrade i.e. iPhone OS 4.x for free, however will have to pay to upgrade to the next major upgrade after that i.e. iPhone OS 5.x.
MacRumors notes that ‘reasoning behind this policy has been blamed on legal accounting requirements’. We also think it’s to do with the fact that new iPhone OS is usually released in June along with new iPhones and it wouldn’t make sense to charge iPad customers an upgrade free within 3 months.
- Apple Releases iOS 4.2.1 Golden Master For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch To Developers
- Apple Releases iOS 4.3 Golden Master For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch To Developers
- Apple Releases iOS 5 Beta 5 For iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch & Apple TV To Developers
- Apple Releases iOS 4.2 Golden Master For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch To Developers
- Apple Releases iOS 4.3.4 For iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch & iOS 4.2.9 For Verizon iPhone To Fix JailbreakMe 3.0 Vulnerability