Google Wants To Be Your Electricity Meter
An anonymous reader writes “Google has teamed up with a microcontroller maker Microchip to develop an API for a piece of software called Google PowerMeter, according this EE Times story. Why? Because Google wants to host all the details of the electricity and other energy consumption of people’s homes. It wants to do this so that it can show people on their iGoogle homepages when and where they are consuming energy so that they can start to reduce their power consumption. The good news is that it is an opt-in service and free so you don’t have to make Google your energy-monitor if you dont’t want to do so.”
- Is Your Electricity Meter Spying On You?
- Google Details and Defends Its Use of Electricity
- 5 Steps to Ensure Your Power Meter Doesn’t Betray Your Privacy
- Graphic: The Meter-by-Meter Account of How Russian Scientists Got to Lake Vostok
- Germany Exports More Electricity Than Ever Despite Phasing Out Nuclear Energy