Amazon Kindle Proprietary Format Broken
An anonymous reader writes “The Register reports that the proprietary document format used by the Amazon online store and Amazon’s Kindle has been successfully reverse engineered, allowing these DRM-protected documents to be converted into the open MOBI format. Users of alternative e-book readers rejoice.” Here are the hacker’s notes on the program he is calling “Unswindle,” and here is the (translated) forum where the Kindle challenge was posed and answered.
- Amazon Launches ‘Kindle Singles,’ An E-Book Format For Short Works
- Kindle Books Overtake Paperback Books To Become Amazon’s Most Popular Format
- Amazon Is Collecting Your Kindle Highlights & Notes
- Amazon To Allow Book Lending On the Kindle
- Amazon Offers Cut of Ebook Sales To Book Stores Selling Kindle